Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Before stepping into the Big Apple...

Receiving news that my first three weeks of 2011 will be in New York City, I pictured myself in a scene of many movies, a scene in the backseat of the yellow cab going through Times Square filled up with excitement, admiring the bright lights and the hundreds of people walking down the street. For some odd reason, every time I picture myself in New York the song Empire State of Mind seems to always play in the background. 

I thought to myself, I am going to be in a city where movies from the classic King Kong to The Devil Wears Prada to the hectic bankers of the recent movie Wall Street 2: Money Never Sleeps were filmed, now how exciting would that be? Broadways, films, fashion industries, economy, fast-paced people, hotdog stands, huge pretzels and the famous buildings such as the Empire State and the Statue of Liberty blanketed in wet cold white snow on the side streets is the picture of New York in my mind. Leaving Abu Dhabi it all seemed like the imaginary tales formed in my head, but now that I am here I am ready to see how real it gets...


1 comment:

  1. Your post puts me in mind of Disney's wonderful send-up of its own classic cartoons, Enchanted, in which a fairy-tale princess is sent by a wicked witch to what is supposed to be the opposite of a fairy-tale world: New York City. Guess which realm turns out to be the truly "enchanted" one ... even if it is a place where the helpful animals turn out to be cockroaches, mice, pigeons, and rats ...

    ReplyDelete